This occasional paper describes the rescue excavation of a Romano-British timber building and probable tank structure, interpreted as a malt house. The building was part of the estate centred on the Boxted Wood Villa, midway between Braintree and Great Dunmow. The malt house was probably operating during the 2nd and early 3rd centuries; it was thoroughly robbed out some time after the mid 3rd century.
The villa itself, c.250m to the north-west of the 1988 investigations, had been discovered in 1947. Details of the excavation that located it are published here for the first time, as an appendix.
Miranda , Owen Bedwin, 1999. 'A Roman malt house: excavations at Stebbing Green, Essex 1988', East Anglian Archaeology Occasional Papers 6