A former builders merchant’s yard, adjoining St Mary’s Street and the Hen Brook at St Neots, was investigated by means of trial-trenching, a small area excavation and a watching brief, in advance of a housing development.
Episodes of alluviation and the formation of marshy deposits on the site accompanied medieval activity along the street frontage. In the 17th century the ground was made up, a terrace of houses was built in brick along the street frontage, and the backplot area was used for tanning. Lime pits and tanning waste (a large assemblage of animal bone) were recovered. In 1889 the site was acquired by the builders merchant.
A.E.Jones, 2000. 'St Mary’s Street, St Neots, Cambridgeshire, Archaeological Investigations 1994–5', East Anglian Archaeology Occasional Papers 7