Baconsthorpe Castle was a fortified manor house near Holt in north-east Norfolk. It was first purchased by the Heydon family in the early fifteenth century and remained in their hands until about 1680. The property comprised, at various stages, an inner moated enclosure, an outer court and gatehouse, a barn, a mere, formal gardens and park. The fortunes of the Heydon family prospered until the late sixteenth or early seventeenth century and much imported pottery and glass has been found on the site. The report records the small amount of archaeological excavation which has taken place at Baconsthorpe, contains an analysis of the buildings, a survey of the earthworks, and draws together all finds and documentary evidence extant for the site and its owners.
Carolyn Dallas , David Sherlock, 2002. 'Baconsthorpe Castle, Excavations and Finds, 1951–1972', East Anglian Archaeology 102