Documentary evidence suggests that Thetford was already an important centre by AD 870, when it provided a winter base for the Vikings. During the 10th and 11th centuries, the Anglo-Danish town developed into a thriving commercial centre with many local crafts and industries, occupying an enormous defended area south of the River Ouse.
This report describes many sites excavated between 1948 and 1959 by Group Captain Knocker, and two sites excavated in 1973 and 1980 by the Norfolk Archaeological Unit. (See also EAA 62 and EAA 72 for further work).
Knocker’s excavations produced a motley collection of buildings, but the most important aspect of this report is the comprehensively illustrated collection of finds. These include products of the Thetford Ware kilns, metalworking tools, woodworking tools and objects connected with textile manufacture, clothworking and leatherworking. Other items include combs, pins, needles, handles, flutes and skates.
Andrew Rogerson , Carolyn Dallas, 1984. 'Excavations in Thetford 1948–59 and 1973–80', East Anglian Archaeology 22